The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that nine features will advance to the next round of voting in the Foreign Language Film category for the 90th Academy Awards. Ninety-two films had originally been considered in the category. After last year's Son of Saul, another Hungarian movie made it to the Oscars shortlist: On Body and Soul by Ildikó Enyedi.
The 9 films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:
- "A Fantastic Woman" by Sebastián Lelio (Chile)
- "Félicité" by Alain Gomis (Senegal)
- "Foxtrot" by Samuel Maoz (Israel)
- "In the Fade" by Fatih Akin (Germany)
- "Loveless" by Andrey Zvyagintsev (Russia)
- "On Body and Soul" by Ildikó Enyedi (Hungary)
- "The Insult" by Ziad Doueiri (Lebanon)
- "The Wound" by John Trengove (South Africa)
- "The Square" Ruben Östlund (Sweden)
Along with the Golden Bear in Berlin, the drama also took the FIPRESCI Prize and the Ecumenical Jury Prize. In June, it won the Sydney Film Prize from the Sydney Film Festival, making Enyedi the first woman and the first Hungarian to receive that award. The film had its North American premiere at the Toronto Film Festival, and won the Mumbai Film Festival Audience Choice Award. The last weekend, Alexandra Borbély won the European Film Award for Best European Actress.
On Body and Soul is an Inforg – M&M Film production with the support of the Hungarian Film Fund. Producers are Mónika Mécs, András Muhi and Ernő Mesterházy.
Nominations for the 90th Academy Awards will be announced on Tuesday, January 23, 2018. The 90th Oscars will be held on Sunday, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood.